Wednesday, November 11, 2009

THE WAR ROOM: In Memoriam

Kind of strange to see such a high profile bar go down right when we elect a brand spankin new nightlife friendly mayor AND city attorney, but I'm not close to the situation so I'll let co-owner Marcus Lalario tell it like it is.

"With so many issues still facing nightlife, we're ready to move on. The liquor tax increase, mounting pressures from the City and State helped us make the decision...We feel like we've had a good run at it."

A good run at it? Man I went "N" at the War Room. 2080's back when Scene was still in town. Yo Son! and the sweat box that was the Red Bull Big Tune Battles. Spinnin the rooftop on summer weekends. Jake One's record release party. Cancer Rising's debut album release party...where I first met Macklemore and Larry. And so many more nights. It was a fun spot and the place to be more often than not.


It will be missed and I hope this doesn't become a trend. Washington has some of the WORST liquor laws and restrictions in the US and they keep raising 'sin' taxes and making it harder and harder for the places I frequent and spin at to stay afloat. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that calmer waters are ahead with the recent election results, but damn this one is gonna sting for a while.

R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment