Monday, December 29, 2008

iPhone + Internet Radio = Music Lover's Dream

So I gave in and got an iPhone about 3 weeks ago and I have not been disappointed. In fact, this little fucker impresses the hell out of me just about daily. So many features and apps that can make your life easier, help pass the time, and quite a few music apps that I now can't live without. I am going to focus on the internet radio apps (Pandora and Last.fm specifically) and I think that these apps alone make it worth the 3bill price tag for any true lover of music.

The fact you can stream "radio" stations based on your specific tastes, mood, similar artists, genre and then narrow it down using the thumbs up and thumbs down buttons is nothing short of amazing. I have tried everything from DJ Quick, Herbaliser, Donny Hathaway, GangStarr and many others, and each time I find something I've never heard before or hadn't heard in years. I immediately bust out a pen and pad and jot down the important info so I can get the song or album at a later date. I streamed Outkast radio for a 5am poker game last week and the cuts came raining down like the blizzard outside.

I know you can do this on your computer but having these stations at the palm of your hand is pretty amazing. I was on the mountain last week skiing along to some old school funk radio and having the time of my life. I am a huge music freak and the fact that my iPhone only holds 16gb scared the shit out of me. Now I don't even care 'cause everything I could ever need or want is one click away.

Pandora and Last.fm are pretty similar. The one thing I like about Last.fm is that it keeps track of your library and playlists online so you can refer back to your favorites or share playlists with friends. Pandora is a little more user friendly and the results are often more spot on, but I use both equally.

The iPhone is an amazing piece of machinery and is the greatest thing ever for any music fiend. I will go into some more apps in another post. Remote, Simplify Media and Shazam are used regularly and once you use them, you can't live without them. So go get yourself an iPhone and get with the fuckin program people.

No comments:

Post a Comment