Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Alice Russell is no Amy Winehouse

She's much, much, much better.

You should get to know her. She has an amazing voice and a great ear for production (Nostalgia 77, Quantic, ect). The only thing she doesn't have going is the whole "I'm a crack addict and life is pointless" strain and pain in her voice. Which Amy has dialed and does come through the speakers. Good or bad, it does add a 'lil something.

What Ms. Russell lakes in sucidal-ness she more than makes up for in pipes and sheer range. I mean wooooowwww... White English chicks are on some whole 'nother shit these days. Must be all those crumpets or something (heroine?). Regardless, this is another soulful Brit to add to the list and she deserves a spot towards the tippy [/Jeezy] if not for her production choices, arrangements, covers and whatnot, then I guess her voice will do. One must admit this woman has one of the most soulful set of vocal chords since Aretha. Yes, I do understand the comparison I just made.

Her new album Pot of Gold is all over the place, and I mean that in a great way. She pretty much nails every note, genre, cover and vibe on each of the lp's 11 songs. The production is great and gives her a near-perfect backdrop for the many styles and themes she tackles. My only complaints are it's "cleanliness" and that she almost tries to outdo herself vocally. That may sounds stupid. What do I mean by "cleanliness?" I like the gritty funk of Sharon Jones, the basement vibe of Breakestra/Orgone and the new Saadiq album has that Detroit circa 1961 sound. I know I can't win em all. The stuff she does with Quantic Soul Orchestra is filthy. I'm stuck in a time machine and some types of music are meant to be raw. Also, she just sounds like she's trying to shine a little too hard at times when subtler vocals would fit the vibe better. Not a major complaint cause she can sing WELL but as a producer I'd have told her to lay of a smidge on a few parts. I'm an ass I guess.

Anyways, buy the album...if only for her rendition of 'Crazy' that shits all over Gnarls Barkley's.

No comments:

Post a Comment