Tuesday, March 24, 2009

RIP Digable


This is a huge WTF moment for me. 3 days before the start of an East Coast reunion tour, Digable Planets broke up...again. I guess Ladybug left the group. For some reason she couldn't go through with the tour. I obviously can't really speak on the circumstances 'cause I don't have any clue, but this is definitely a shock.

Also a big shock for Common Market, who was set to open for them on this stretch of dates. A lot of the shows were already sold out, and they would have benifited greatly from the exposure. They put on a solid set and would have gained a lot of new fans, not to mention the paper lost in the cancellation.

I was lucky enough to see Digable at Neumos back in the fall and they were absolutely amazing. They ran through all the tracks I wanted to hear and I fell in love with Ladybug all over again. I have been bumping 'Blowout Comb' damn near daily ever since and can say with confidence that they are one of the most slept on hip hop groups of all time. That album is flawless. It contains more bass per captia than any album since. The samples are all classic and flipped with skill. The raps put you at ease, and deliver a feel good vibe that lasts throughout the lp. Each MC brings something fresh to the table and boy do I eat it up. Love me some soulful, jazzy hip hop music.

So RIP Digable Planets. You will be missed (until you pull it together and realize you are better together than solo). And Ladybug...I can't stay mad at you. You win.

No comments:

Post a Comment