Monday, January 26, 2009

The Time of My Life

So I went to DC from the 17th-22nd and it was easily one of the best trips of my life. It's hard to put into words the overall experience of bearing witness to one of the biggest parties our country has ever seen. Not only did I go out every night, meet amazing people, drink a lot and witness a truly historical moment...I got to see a monumental (literally) concert at the Lincoln Memorial featuring the likes of Stevie Wonder, Garth Brooks, U2, Usher, Bruce Springsteen, Beyonce, Herbie Hancock, Will.I.Am, James Taylor...and many more.


This show was not only entertaining, but a very moving experience. I have never been in a crowd so large (400 or 500,000) and everyone was genuinely ecstatic and singing along to just about every song. Herbie and Will.I.Am busted out 'One Love' and the whole audience just lit up and got their Jamrock dance on. Garth Brooks came out and sang "Bye, Bye Ms. American Pie" and "Shout" and owned the moment. The crowd was eating it up and jumpin' up and down. I have never been a huge Garth Brooks fan, but he killed it. Stevie Wonder is one of my idols, and when I got to see him live this summer I could have died on my way home and died a happy man. He put on a great performance with Usher and Shakira and just destroyed the clavinet like only he can do. I love me some Stevie. Finally, Sam Jackson came out and introduced U2. This was especially moving because he talked about the struggles of the civil rights movement and Martin Luther King...who stood on those exact steps 4 decades ago and delivered his I have a dream speech during the march on Washington. U2 then came out and sang 'In the Name of Love' which is a touching tribute to MLK and his stance on non violence and the power of love. Really an amazing moment.

What an amazing trip and a great concert! I can't wait to go back to the east coast...I kinda fell in love.


PEACE THE FUCK OUT BUSH!

No comments:

Post a Comment